Lord, don’t let me think like an expert in religious law!
43 “What sorrow awaits you Pharisees! For you love to sit in the seats of honor in the synagogues and receive respectful greetings as you walk in the marketplaces. 44 Yes, what sorrow awaits you! For you are like hidden graves in a field. People walk over them without knowing the corruption they are stepping on.”
45 “Teacher,” said an expert in religious law, “you have insulted us, too, in what you just said.”
46 “Yes,” said Jesus, “what sorrow also awaits you experts in religious law! For you crush people with unbearable religious demands, and you never lift a finger to ease the burden.
49 This is what God in his wisdom said about you: ‘I will send prophets and apostles to them, but they will kill some and persecute the others.’
How many people in organized pulpits as well as people with religious opinions behave as if they are the experts in religious laws? These very people spout negativity or defame those they don’t agree with in the name of the “law.” Any person who is savvy in social media can wave a religious flag and spout opinions that do not reflect the Gospel. These people have captive audiences that can easily be deceived.
· Beware of what you believe and who you believe.
· Read the Bible and get God’s revelation for you.
· Knowing God keeps you from falling victim to the religious experts.
· If something doesn’t feel right, stop it.
· If God moves you in a different direction, go that direction.
· Don’t let religious laws keep you from God’s path.
· If your religious traditions aren’t working, change things.
Examine what and why you believe. Ask the Lord to reveal his heart to you. Remember that Christ saw through those Pharisee hearts.
He sees through your expert heart.